Friday, July 1, 2011

Trying to document

I am not good at journaling, doing things like scrapbooks, baby books, etc etc...  I find I need to capture things somewhere though or I will always be saying, I don't remember when Owen got his first tooth, I think he liked pears, or was it peaches, when he started solids.....you see because my memory isn't so good either. 
So, I am going to make an effort to just jump on here to document even the little things so I have it somewhere.
Owen will be 7 months on Sunday...I cannot believe it.  I look at him sometimes and think, you aren't a baby anymore, you look like a little boy!!  We love him to pieces and have enjoyed him so much.  I am just going to list where we are so that this will be my catchup entry.
  • Teeth - he has FOUR!  The two bottom ones came in first, between 4-5 months and the other two made their appearance the last couple of weeks.  Teeth are cute and adorable...but he is a biter.  I wish I knew what to do, suggestions are welcome!  I say, 'Owen, no!' and touch his teeth...sometimes this makes him cry (WHY would you talk to me that way??), sometimes he just laughs, sometimes he gives me a confused look and bites again.  Oh me, Oh my....
  • Eating solids - we started solids at 6 months.  I held off as long as I could for a few reasons, but I was excited when the time came.  We have one of those cute little things that lets you make your own baby food.  So over the last month I made sweet potatoes, pears, peas, carrots, yellow squash, peaches...it really is super easy and they come out looking so pretty and tasty, I think.  Owen has also tried bananas and avacados using this little mesh thing that looks like a big ring pop almost.  Anyways, he wasn't wild about squash (I think it was too bland...I couldn't think of what to spice it up with) and he loves loves loves pears and seems to also really like peas, avacados, bananas. peaches and carrots...well that's about everything...ha!  So I guess the only thing he really didn't care for was squash.  Next I am going to experiment with mixing foods into little creations for him.  Can't wait!
  • Movement - Owen is very close to crawling...he gets on all fours and rocks, rocks, rocks...gets on his tippy toes, then back to knees.  He can scoot backwards and roll a lot which puts him on the move.  But he is determined to crawl...he will sit there and rock back and forth then face plant, then try again and again and again...until he finally rolls and scoots his way down the line.  He also has a walker that we use on the kitchen tile...he zips around in that and chases poor Roma, she barks, he chases more...it's a circus here.  He also pulled himself up on the couch the other night all by himself. 
  • Randomness
    • He is a mommy's boy big time.  He wants me, he needs me, he has to have me.  Somedays it can take it all out of this mommy, between work and Owen, I just feel mentally, physically, emotionally tired (I am sure all moms feel the same way).  I am cutting back on my work hours so that should help, I will feel less stressed, and plus I enjoy all my time with Owen, especially when I am not trying to multi-task it with working.
    • Sleeping...well he slept through the night for about 3 weeks and then we went to Oklahoma and it sent him topsy turvey and he hasn't done it since.  Mostly he gets up and just wants me in there, he won't let me lay him back down.  Beau has tried to go in there and he will cry and scream and look at the door until I enter, which doesn't take long because I cannot stand to hear him so upset.  The peditrician, at our last checkup, said, well you can let him cry it out...ummm, no I cannot...I physically cannot do that, I will start crying and it will just be a big mess.  I mean, he can't do this forever.....right?  (yawn....)
    • Talking, babbling, yapping....he is very vocal....lots of bababababa, dadadadadada, mamamamama, nanananana, etc etc....sometimes it sounds like he is moaning, which is hilarious.  Anyways, I like to hear him talk and he likes to hear himself talk too.  
    • Other sounds....he likes to click his tounge, it is so funny.  And for a few days he was grinding his teeth, which wasn't a great sound but he made an adorable face as he did it.
    • Swimming!  He loves to go to the pool!  Texas Tech has a great leisure pool with a lazy river, wet deck, fountains, etc....lots of fun stuff.  We go during family hours and try to go a couple times a week, he definitely enjoys it. 
    • My hair....he likes it, a lot.  He pulls it, he eats it, he twists up in his hand.  I have gone to all ponytails to try to avoid some of it, but he finds it.  He is especially into it when he is upset, its like it soothes him...or when he is asleep, when he falls asleep on my shoulder he will reach for my ponytail and then just hold it.  Melt me heart.....except when it's time to put him down and I have to quietly, carefully unravel/unclench his hand
That is all I can think of for now....I will post again this weekend, I hope.  A few pics from this past month are below.